Lafayette

Mar 6, 2014 7:36 PM by Dave Fields

Improperly discarded cigarette blamed for Broussard house fire

The house fire that awakened the owners of a Broussard home Wednesday night was accidentally started by an improperly discarded cigarette, Lafayette Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan reports.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Investigators determined the fire originated from the heat source initiated by a cigarette placed in a wooden flower planter located under the carport and situated against an exterior wall of the dwelling. According to investigators, the fire burned through the exterior siding and progressed inside the wall to the attic.

At 11:58 p.m. Wednesday, Broussard firefighters responded to a reported fire in the dwelling at105 Bonvillain St. After the homeowners had been awakened by the smell, they discovered the home to be filling up with smoke and exited the dwelling.

While outside, homeowner Charles Vincent noticed heavy smoke emanating from an exterior wall and the attic.

Firefighters indicate that emergency crews arrived on scene within minutes and observed the smoke that continued to emerge from the roof area. Firefighters report that they entered the attic and quickly extinguished the progressing fire.

"The house sustained moderate fire damage in the attic and minor damages inside the dwelling," Trahan said.

Trahan said that the investigation has been closed.

»Comments

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular