Feb 26, 2013 12:39 PM by MELISSA CANONE
There will be a meeting for parents and/or members of the community who are interested in knowing more about LPSS's plans for the expansion of language immersion. The meeting will be Tuesday, February 26th at 5:30 p.m. at Lafayette Parish School Board Office, 113 Chaplin Drive, in the boardroom.
EXPANDING IMMERSION TRANSLATES TO:
1. Adding opportunities at entry level
- Pre-K and K additional sections
- Late entry in 1st grade
2. Adding opportunities mid-pathway
- Late French immersion in 5th grade
3. Adding extending opportunities
- High school pathways
4. Adding opportunities in un-served geographic regions in Lafayette Parish
- Plantation site (Spanish and Chinese)
- New French site at unknown site (phase two)
5. Adding opportunities for ESL (English as a second language) students.
- Two-way Spanish immersion
As one part of the Taskforce's expansion plan (and only one part), a recommendation is made that would transform Myrtle Place Elementary into a French immersion school.