Posted: Jul 26, 2010 12:54 PM by Melissa Canone
Updated: Jul 26, 2010 1:01 PM
At 2:49 this morning, Lafayette Fire Department responded to 104 Silkwood Street to a reported house fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke and flames coming from a large window of the single family dwelling. Firefighters battled the blaze for approximately twenty minutes before getting it under control. The dwelling sustained heavy fire damage. There were two vehicles parked in front of the residence that were destroyed by the fire.
The occupants, Ms. Anna Humfleet and Mr. Bennie Sanders, were asleep at the time of the fire. Mr. Sanders woke up hearing sounds and noticed the house filling up with smoke. He awakened Ms. Humfleet who was asleep in another room. They attempted to put the fire out, but the heat and smoke was too intense. The smoke and flames were coming from the living room. Fortunately, they exited the house without any injuries.
Fire investigators determined that the fire originated in the living room. The cause of the fire was a candle that was left burning on a coffee table. The occupants lost everything in the fire.
The occupants were temporarily sheltered at the department's Emergency house.