Posted: May 16, 2012 6:24 AM by AP
Updated: May 16, 2012 6:24 AM
PLAQUEMINE, La. (AP) - Employees of the parish's Head Start program may reapply for their positions at an upcoming job fair.
The Head Start chief administrative officer, Edwards Songy, told parish councilmen Tuesday that the event, open only to current Head Start employees, will be held May 29-30 at Nottaway Plantation.
Last month, the council voted to cede control of the federally mandated program, citing the inability to afford its $315,000 annual cost.
The Advocate reports the parish has begun the process of turning over the program, which has 360 students and 61 teachers and staff at six locations, to the federal government.
Parish President Mitch Ourso has said the parish school district has not expressed interest in taking over the Head Start program.