Posted: Dec 12, 2012 6:22 PM by Tonya LaCoste
Updated: Dec 12, 2012 6:32 PM
A former Crowley High assistant football coach charged with prohibited sexual conduct via telecommunications between an educator and student is in the district attorney's diversion program. If Bryant Keith Ortego, 48, meets all of the requirements of the program, the charge against him will be dismissed. Ortego resigned earlier this year after being accused of communicating with an 18-year-old female student. "An individual is not allowed into the program unless the victim of the offense agrees, and I have never made an exception for that," District Attorney Mike Harson said.
Details of the diversion program and what is required of Ortego are prohibited. "The rules of the program provide that while in the program the matter remains confidential because of the potential for reinstating the offense," Harson said. Ortego will avoid prosecution if he successfully completes the program.