Posted: Mar 6, 2013 6:49 PM by Tonya LaCoste
Updated: Mar 6, 2013 6:49 PM
Bourque's Supermarket is honoring the Port Barre Fire Dept. for saving the store after a fire broke out Feb. 20. The fire started while cooking cracklin in the smokehouse, which is attached to the building. One of the family members, Shannon Bourque, credits firefighters from stopping the fire from spreading to the grocery store.
Family gave firefighters a plaque and treated them to grilled steak. After all electrical work was redone, the store reopened two days after the fire. Bourque said electricians worked around the clock to get the store open again.