News

Nov 16, 2009 1:26 PM by Megan Schiering

Fire Safe Cigarettes

An 89 year old Acadia Parish man is dead after fire broke out in his home. State Fire Marshal, Butch Browning, says Mason A. Guidry Sr. was smoking a cigarette when it fell into his garbage can, igniting the flames, now he's hoping a new state law can prevent anymore cigarette related deaths.

This summer State Legislators passed a law thats requires every cigarette manufactured in Louisiana to meet fire safe cigarette standards by the first of the year. That means the cigarette is wrapped in a special paper that keeps the cigarette from smoldering.

Browning believes Guidry would still be alive today if his cigarettes met the requirements.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular