Jul 21, 2014 9:44 AM by AP
Baton Rouge firefighters say an electrical malfunction near an air conditioning unit caused a fire that claimed the life of a 90-year-old man.
Fire department spokesman Mark Miles tells The Advocate firefighters carried both 87-year-old Helen Paxton who was in her living room and her husband, Steve Paxton, who had fallen down in a rear hallway from the burning house.
He says firefighters performed CPR on the couple, but Steve Paxton died at the scene Saturday night.
Firefighters say Helen Paxton noticed smoke accumulating in the home shortly before 8 p.m. and called her son at his home in Denham Springs. He notified neighbors who called 911.
Helen Paxton was taken to nearby hospital for treatment.
7 hours ago