Posted: Oct 24, 2012 11:03 AM by AP
Updated: Oct 24, 2012 11:07 AM
CLINTON, La. (AP) - East Feliciana Parish Sheriff Talmadge Bunch says his staff will discontinue answering 911 emergency telephone calls within the next month unless he gets more money.
Bunch notified the board that oversees the 911 system's operations last week that his office has "borne the lion's share" of personnel costs involved in taking 911 calls from the public.
Bill Ford, chairman of the communication district's Board of Commissioners, told The Advocate Monday the board will meet Friday to discuss the sheriff's letter.
Parish Jail Warden Ray Newman, who represents Bunch on the board, said he made a request for more money at the last meeting but was turned down.
The 911 call takers and emergency telephone system are housed in a room with Sheriff's Office dispatchers at the Parish Jail.