Jun 17, 2014 5:01 PM by Brian Richard
A drug drop box has been installed in the lobby of the Administration Building located at 5400 E. Broad Street in Lake Charles by the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office. The box is available for the public to safely dispose of any unused, unwanted or expired medications. Law enforcement can legally accept these medications and process them properly so that they do not fall into the wrong hands.
Law enforcement takes control of and destroys drugs on a regular basis as part of their regular operations. The drop box is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week free of charge. This program is absolutely anonymous and no questions or requests for identification will be made by Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office law enforcement personnel.
Individuals should remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain pills/capsules and liquids before placing the bottles or packages into the drop box. The drug drop box is provided through a grant from the National Association of Drug Diversion Investigators.
What you CAN turn into the drug drop box:
· Controlled substance medications (scheduled drugs)
· Non-controlled (Rx) substance medications
· Over the counter (OTC) medications
· Medication samples
· Syrups, ointments, creams and lotions
What you CANNOT turn into the drug drop box:
· Any sharps such as needles, syringes or lancets
· Any mercury or cadmium products such as thermometers & batteries
· Disposal medical waste items such as IV bags, used bandages, gowns or bio-hazardous items
· Aerosol cans
· Chemicals or disinfectants such as hydrogen peroxide
· Personal care products (non-medicated shampoo, etc.)