Posted: Jun 25, 2013 5:45 PM by MELISSA CANONE
Alice Wallace of Hobgoblin Hill Puppets, under the sponsorship of Cité des Arts, will be conducting puppetry classes for two weeks on July 9-12 and 16-19, and classes will start at 5:30 pm and end (tentatively) at 7:30 pm. (Some people might want to stay after class to discuss their new ideas, try an experiment, or ask more questions).
Hobgoblin Hill Puppets is a traveling troupe begun in 1987 in Lafayette, Louisiana, by Alice Wallace, who is a teacher in the St. Martin Parish schools. Now, approximately two hundred puppets since the company's beginning, Hobgoblin Hill Puppets have been featured performers at the Louisiana Renaissance Festival, Galveston's Dickens on the Strand, Lafayette's Festival International, the New Orleans Jazz Festival, and Puppeteers of America conventions in across the United States.
The focus of these classes will include:
1. An overview of puppetry styles across the world.
2. Practice in developing voices.
3. The opportunity to work with many different types of puppets.
4. Experimentation with skits.
5. Examination of styles of puppetmaking.
6. Instruction in theater construction.
7. Open brainstorming sessions on how to work puppetry into your home, your class, or your life.
Miss Wallace will bring in her theater, many of her puppets, and a bucket of ideas on how to make puppetry work for you! Classes will cost only $200.00 per student. Teachers, and students (high school/college) will get a $40.00 discount. All you need to bring is an open mind and the courage to make a fool of yourself in front of others. Sign up before the class fills up!www.citedesarts.org or call 291-1122.