Posted: May 7, 2010 12:24 PM by Katie Durio
Updated: May 7, 2010 12:24 PM
Lafayette Fire Department fire investigators have determined that the fire at the Recycling Foundation was cause by either the mechanical heat or a spark from a BobCat machine being used to move the bales of recyclables. Employees at the business were using the machine to move several bales around. Shortly afterwards, one of the employees noticed one of the bales burning and attempted to put it out with a fire extinguisher. The fire spread quickly with the wind causing two additional fires on the premise.
Firefighters remained on the scene till midnight extinguishing the large piles of recyclables. There were no injuries.
The fire was determined to be accidental.