Posted: Apr 13, 2013 11:01 AM by katc
Updated: Apr 13, 2013 11:02 AM
Friday night troopers assigned to Louisiana State Police Troop D, with assistance from the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office, conducted a DWI checkpoint in Calcasieu Parish from about 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Troopers made 3 arrests for DWI.
Troopers and deputies also issued 39 citations for a variety of offenses including 14 for not wearing a seatbelt, 4 for no child restraint, 2 for open alcoholic beverage container, 1 for driving under suspension, 1 for careless operation, 2 for no driver's license, 1 for no proof of vehicle insurance, 7 for expired motor vehicle inspection decal, 1 for failure to register vehicle, 1 for expired vehicle registration, 2 for illegal window tint, 1 for failure to turn off fog lights, 1 for no headlights, and 1 for littering.
Here are a few simple tips to avoid a drunk driving disaster:
· Plan a safe way home before the fun begins;
· Before drinking, designate a sober driver;
· If you're impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you are sure to get home safely;
· If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don't hesitate to contact the Louisiana State Police by dialing *LSP (*577) on your cellular phone.
· And remember, "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over." If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.