Mar 13, 2013 11:19 PM by UL Sports Information
Head coach Greg Harkins saw his Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team reach double-digit wins for the second time in three years as Louisiana gutted out a 4-3 decision over Youngstown State at Bourgeois Courts on Wednesday afternoon.
"It was yet another exciting day," Harkins said. "I was proud of the girls for pulling out another 4-3 match. After the way yesterday's match felt like a kick in the teeth, the girls came with a completely different mentality of the way they approached the match. Once we got ahead we pushed out pretty well and held on to win."
In doubles play, the Cajuns (10-6) claimed the point with an 8-5 win on court two by Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt. The duo remained perfect on the spring to move to 13-0 in doubles competition.
Louisiana increased its advantage to 2-0 as Sandra Ahlqvist notched her fourth consecutive singles victory defeating Carolyn Jesko at No.4 singles, 6-2, 6-0.
After the Penguins picked up a win at the No.5 position, Hannah Appleyard put the Cajuns a point away from clinching with a 6-1, 6-4 on court six.
Freshman Nicole Breaux clinched the match on court two taking a three-set match against Margarita Sadovnikova, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
"I give Youngstown State a lot of credit," Harkins added. "They came a long way and fought us very hard. The girls really learned a lot about staying in it and keeping focus today. It was good to rebound after such a tough match yesterday."
The Ragin' Cajuns return to action on Friday at 2 p.m. when they host conference foe UL-Monroe at Cajun Courts. Admission to the match is free. There will also be live stats and video available on RaginCajuns.com.
"We are right back at it on Friday against a conference rival," Harkins said. "We encourage everyone from Cajun Nation to come out and cheer us on. This match will be a barn burner."
For updates and info on women's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 4, Youngstown State 3
1. de Man, Paula (YSU) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Sadovnikova, M. (YSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
3. Raicevic, Tijana (YSU) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Jesko, Carolyn (YSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hankle, Lauren (YSU) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. Hannah Appleyard (UL) def. Brendel, Annina (YSU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Burak, Marta/Sadovnikova, M. (YSU) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Nicole Breaux (UL) 8-6
2. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. de Man, Paula/Hankle, Lauren (YSU) 8-5
3. Bailey VanDyke/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Jesko, Carolyn/Brendel, Annina (YSU) 8-3
Youngstown State University 7-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,6,2,3,1)