Feb 15, 2013 11:38 PM by UL Sports Information
The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team fell 6-1 to Lamar on Friday at the Thompson Family Tennis Center in Beaumont, Texas.
"I'm proud of how hard the girls fought today," head coach Greg Harkins said. "We were in a lot of the matches and were so close to breaking through. Coach Long at Lamar is a good coach and disciplinarian and knows how to get the most out of his girls."
The Cardinals jumped out to a 1-0 advantage claiming the doubles point after wins at the No.1 and 2 positions. Louisiana's lone win in doubles came on court three as Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt defeated Natalia Mayagoitia and Dariya Dashutina 8-6.
Despite dropping five of six singles positions, the Cajuns battled seeing two of those five matches go to a third set.
Sophomore Sophie van den Aarssenn lost a third set super tiebreaker to Carolina Salas on court one, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8).
At No.2 singles, Bailey VanDyke fell to Alicia Porte in a third set super tiebreaker, 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-13).
Sandra Ahlqvist picked up the Cajuns lone point topping Natalia Mayagoitia (LU) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (14-12) at the No.4 position.
"We've gotten opportunities, and we just need to stay encouraged," Harkins mentioned. "A couple close points here and there were the difference in the match. Tomorrow is going to be another close match. We need to prepare ourselves and be ready to go."
The Cajuns close out their six-match road swing and Texas road trip with a 1 p.m. match at Stephen F. Austin tomorrow.
Lamar 6, Louisiana 1
1. Carolina Salas (LU) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Alicia Porte (LU) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-13)
3. Carolina Maso (LU) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-3, 6-3
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Natalia Mayagoitia (LU) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (14-12)
5. Dariya Dashutina (LU) def. Juliette Clement (UL) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alessandra Pennesi (LU) def. Hannah Appleyard (UL) 6-1, 6-3
1. Carolina Salas/Helene Czudek (LU) def. Nicole Breaux/Bailey VanDyke (UL) 8-4
2. Alicia Porte/Carolina Maso (LU) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Hannah Appleyard (UL) 8-6
3. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Natalia Mayagoitia/Dariya Dashutina (LU) 8-6