Mar 13, 2013 12:02 AM by UL Sports Information
Riding a two-match win streak, the Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team dropped a 4-3 heartbreaker to undefeated Buffalo on Tuesday afternoon at Cajun Courts.
"Today was a really tough day," head coach Greg Harkins said. "We played an undefeated team that battled really hard. We came out strong in the doubles, but we kind of got a little soft in singles. The teams that win and are successful have the ability to battle back. We had several opportunities today and we didn't capitalize on them. I give a lot of credit to Buffalo for not breaking down or going away."
The Cajuns (9-6) swept doubles play to pick up the doubles point. The duo of Bailey VanDyke and Sandra Ahlqvist clinched the point on court three with an 8-6 victory over Laura Fernandez and Marta Stoyanova.
Sophie van den Aarssen and Nicole Breaux were the first to finish claiming an 8-4 win on court one against Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas.
At No.2 doubles, Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt remained perfect on the season in doubles moving to 12-0 after topping Anamaria Candanoza and Gopika Kapoor, 8-5.
After Buffalo (8-0) evened the match with a win on court one in singles, Ahlqvist tabbed her ninth win of the season defeating Fernandez at the No.4 position, 6-4, 6-2.
The Bulls won the next two points of the contest winning at No.2 and 6 singles to take a 3-2 edge in the match.
VanDyke pulled the Ragin' Cajuns even at 3-all as took a three set decision from Candanoza on court five, 7-5, 5-7, 6-2.
On court three, Tamara Markovic outlasted Melissa Burckhartt in a tough three-set match, 7-6, 3-6, 6-4, to clinch the contest for Buffalo.
"This is a tough loss, but we are going to build from it," Harkins added. "Tomorrow is another match, and we are going to get back at it and hopefully the result will fall on our side."
Louisiana is slated to host Youngstown State at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Bourgeois Courts. Admission to the match is free.
Buffalo 4, Louisiana 3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) 6-1, 6-0
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-4, 7-5
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Laura Fernandez (UB) 6-4, 6-2
5. Bailey VanDyke (UL) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
6. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Hannah Appleyard (UL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) 8-4
2. Melissa Burckhartt/Juliette Clement (UL) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Gopika Kapoor (UB) 8-5
3. Bailey VanDyke/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Laura Fernandez/Marta Stoyanova (UB) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,6,2,5,3)
19 hours ago