Feb 12, 2013 3:23 PM by UL Sports Information
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team closed out its first leg of the Texas road trip on Tuesday with a 6-1 loss to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi in a match that extended over two days due to weather conditions.
"We fought hard against a very solid team," head coach Greg Harkins said. "I am very proud of the girls. We gained a lot of confidence in ourselves as a team this week. The rivalry between us and Corpus Christi is really what collegiate tennis is all about.
Despite winning on court three in doubles, the Cajuns (1-3) would drop the doubles point. Freshmen Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt teamed up to win their third straight doubles match besting the team of Maider Martin and Mia Matuszak in a tie break 8-7 (7-3).
In singles play, Corpus Christi (5-0) would claim all but one court. Sophomore Sophie van den Aarssen defeated Doris Kuselj at No.1 singles, 6-0, 6-4, to pick up the lone point for UL.
The Cajuns close out their six-match road swing and the last two Texas matches this weekend as Louisiana is slated to face Lamar Friday at 11 a.m. before a 1 p.m. showdown with Stephen F. Austin on Saturday.
"We are eager to get back on the court this weekend and look forward to some tough competition versus Lamar and Stephen F. Austin," Harkins added.
For updates and new on women's tennis follow the squad on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 6, Louisiana 1
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) def. Doris Kuselj (TAMCC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Maider Martin (TAMCC) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Sandra Burges (TAMCC) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-2, 6-1
4. Stefania Nicolae (TAMCC) def. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. C. Rodriguez Delgado (TAMCC) def. Juliette Clement (UL) 7-5, 6-2
6. Leanne Mascall (TAMCC) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
1. Doris Kuselj/Stefania Nicolae (TAMCC) def. Nicole Breaux/Bailey VanDyke (UL) 8-6
2. Chelsea Horan/Sandra Burges (TAMCC) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Hannah Appleyard (UL) 8-6
3. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Maider Martin/Mia Matuszak (TAMCC) 8-7 (7-3)