Feb 11, 2013 12:05 AM by UL Sports Information
EDINBURG, Texas - The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis squad picked up its first dual match win of the spring season defeating Texas-Pan American 5-2 on the road at the Orville Cox Tennis Center on Sunday.
"Our girls really battled hard and overcame some tough conditions on the road today," head coach Greg Harkins said. "For the first time we saw the temperature reach the nineties and the wind was a constant. I give credit to UT-Pan American. They played a very spirited in their home opener and put up a good fight. Hopefully we can learn from the adjustments we made today and continue to get better."
The Cajuns (1-2) swept all three doubles matches to claim the first point of the contest. Nicole Breaux and Bailey VanDyke teamed up to clinch the doubles point on court one with an 8-7 (7-3) victory over Anastasia Burobina and Reegan Greenwood.
"We were able to win the doubles point for the second straight match," Harkins mentioned. "That has really helped up build some confidence heading into singles play."
Louisiana jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a win at No. 5 singles by Juliette Clement.
After UTPA cut the UL lead to 2-1 with a win on court four, VanDyke extended the Cajuns advantage to 3-1 defeating Manon Lavrijssen 6-2, 6-4 at the No.3 position.
Sophomore Sophie van den Aarssen clinched the match for Louisiana defeating Dana Nazarova 6-0, 2-6, 6-2 at No.1 singles.
The Ragin' Cajuns picked up one more point on court two as Breaux topped Didi Fatchikova 7-6, 6-2.
The women's tennis team is back in action tomorrow at 2 p.m. when they face Texas A&M - Corpus Christi in the second of four Texas contests.
For live match updates and new follow the women's tennis team on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 5, Texas-Pan American 2
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) def. Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Didi Fatchikova (UTPA) 7-6, 6-2
3. Bailey VanDyke (UL) def. Manon Lavrijssen (UTPA) 6-2, 6-4
4. Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 6-1, 6-3
5. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Lucie Chrastecka (UTPA) 6-2, 0-1, retired
6. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) def. Hannah Appleyard (UL) 7-6, 6-0
1. Nicole Breaux/Bailey VanDyke (UL) def. Anastasia Burobina/Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Hannah Appleyard (UL) def. Didi Fatchikova/Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Lucie Chrastecka/Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) 8-5
Texas-Pan American 0-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,3,1,6,2)