Mar 10, 2014 12:04 AM by UL Sports Information
LAFAYETTE - Nelo Phiri earned a straight-set victory at No. 1 singles for the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team, but UT Pan American earned a hard-fought doubles point before claiming three straight matches in singles play to claim a 4-1 win on Sunday at Cajun Courts.
UTPA (10-4) earned singles wins at No. 2, 4 and 6 in winning its school-record sixth consecutive match of the season. Louisiana, which defeated Stephen F. Austin in its previous match on Friday, dropped to 5-7 on the season.
"Give a lot of credit to UTPA, they've competed very well and they are having a great season," head coach Greg Harkins said. "It was a disappointing day for us in terms of development. We were ahead on every court during the match, but we let our own frustration get the better of us and we beat ourselves."
Phiri earned her fourth victory of the season at No. 1 singles for the Ragin' Cajuns after posting a 6-0, 6-1 win over Didi Fatchikova. The junior teamed with Nicole Breaux at No. 1 doubles, as the duo won their fifth straight match with an 8-5 decision over Wanda Bequelin and Christel Amsallem.
UTPA's Reegan Greenwood and Katia Stavroulaki defeated Julie Cremers and Melissa Burckhartt at No. 2 doubles, 8-5, before the Broncs claimed the doubles point in the final match as the No. 3 team of Fatchikova and Mariana Ranzahuer earned an 8-5 victory over Alexandra Way and Juliette Clement.
After Phiri tied the match at 1-1 with her win at singles, the Broncs went ahead as Wanda Bequelin defeated Breaux at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-4, before Ranzahuer earned a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Way at No. 4 and Amsallem a 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 decision over Juliette Clement at No. 6.
The Ragin' Cajuns will return to action on Monday when they play hosts to No. 68-ranked North Florida in a 2 p.m. match at Cajun Courts.
"The tipping point is to learn from the mistakes made in today's match and turn them into a positive against North Florida," Harkins said. "I am optimistic that we will respond and rise up to the challenge.
"It's another opportunity for us to host a nationally-ranked team. To improve and get better as a program, we must play the best teams and compete consistently every time on the court. There are no easy matches at this level."
Admission is free and live scoring will be available on RaginCajuns.com.
Texas - Pan American 4, Louisiana 1
1. Nelo Phiri (UL) def. Didi Fatchikova (UTPA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Wanda Bequelin (UTPA) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) vs. Katia Stavroulaki (UTPA) 6-3, 2-6, 1-4, unfinished
4. Mariana Ranzahuer (UTPA) def. Alexandra Way (UL) 6-4, 7-5
5. Julie Cremers (UL) vs. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) 6-2, 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Christel Amsallem (UTPA) def. Juliette Clement (UL) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. Nicole Breaux/Nelo Phiri (UL) def. Wanda Bequelin/Christel Amsallem (UTPA) 8-5
2. Reegan Greenwood/Katia Stavroulaki (UTPA) def. Julie Cremers/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 8-5
3. Didi Fatchikova/Mariana Ranzahuer (UTPA) def. Alexandra Way/Juliette Clement (UL) 8-5
Texas - Pan American 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,4,6)
5 hours ago