Apr 18, 2013 8:15 PM by UL Sports Information
LAFAYETTE, La. - The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team notched a 4-0 sweep of 12th seeded WKU on Thursday at Cajun Courts to advance to the Sun Belt Championship quarterfinals. Louisiana (14-11) will face fourth seeded South Alabama tomorrow at 10 a.m. at Cajun Courts.
"It was a great overall team effort today," head coach Greg Harkins said. "We had to overcome some tough conditions with the win. The wind really evened the playing field, but the girls stayed tough mentally and pulled it out. I give a lot of credit to our upperclassmen for providing good leadership for our younger girls on the team."
Despite losing at No.2 doubles, the Cajuns pulled out the doubles point winning on courts one and three. Freshmen Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt clinched the point at the No.1 position defeating Monta Reinfelde and Madeline Phillips, 8-6. With the win, the duo improves 16-3 on the season.
In singles competition, Clement increased the Louisiana advantage to 2-0 claiming a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Katrina Vucina.
Junior Sandra Ahlqvist moved the Ragin' Cajuns one point closer from clinching the match with her fourth straight win defeating Gabby Crofford 6-4, 6-3 at No.4.
"Sandra really battled today," Harkins added. "She has been dealing with an injury, but she didn't let it affect her. Sandra really has played tough lately and she isn't going to let anything keep her from being on the court."
Sophie van den Aarssen closed out the match for the Cajuns besting Reinfelde 6-4, 6-3 on court one.
"This was a great opening match for us," Harkins noted. "We will have a tough contest tomorrow against a very good South Alabama team and hopefully we can come away with a win as we try to win a conference championship."
Admission to the South Alabama match is free. Live stats and video are available on RaginCajuns.com. For info and updates on women's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 4, WKU 0
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) def. Monta Reinfelde (WKUW) 6-4, 6-3
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) vs. Madeline Phillips (WKUW) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
3. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) vs. Carolina Barboza (WKUW) 6-4, 3-0, unfinished
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Gabby Crofford (WKUW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bailey VanDyke (UL) vs. Alex Crofford (WKUW) 6-7 (4-7), 3-1, unfinished
6. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Katrina Vucina (WKUW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Monta Reinfelde/Madeline Phillips (WKUW) 8-6
2. Carolina Barboza/Gabby Crofford (WKUW) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Nicole Breaux (UL) 8-4
3. Hannah Appleyard/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Alex Crofford/Katrina Vucina (WKUW) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,1)