Posted: Mar 2, 2013 6:35 PM by UL Sports Information
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team closed out the HEB Tournament of Champions with a 4-1 win over UTSA in the third place match on Saturday morning at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.
"This was another challenging weekend for our players," head coach Mark Jeffrey said. "The conditions down here were not easy to play with as there was 30-40 mile per hour sea breezes. We managed to come away with a 2-1 record and finish third out of eight teams."
Louisiana (7-6) clinched the doubles point at the No.1 position as Rick de Groot and Jake Wynan defeated Martin Ayala and Diogo Casa 8-3.
Twins Hunter and Yates Johnson posted a strong 8-0 win on court three over UTSA's Hugo Guanais and Matt Mussenden.
In singles play, the Cajuns picked up straight set wins at positions 1, 3 and 6. Rick de Groot topped Ayala on court one, 6-3, 7-5, while Hunter Johnson notched his eighth win of the season on court three with a 7-6, 6-1 victory over Tyler Brown.
Yates Johnson picked up the final point for the Ragin' Cajuns at No.6 singles with a strong 6-1, 6-2 performance against Kolby Kilgo.
The Cajuns return to action next weekend when they head to Atlanta, Ga. to face Georgia State and Georgia Southern. Follow the men's tennis team on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
Louisiana 4, UTSA 1
1. Rick de Groot (UL) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-3, 7-5
2. Jake Wynan (UL) vs. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 7-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6, 6-1
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Jarred Wynan (UL) 6-2, 6-0
5. Edgar Lopez (UL) vs. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
6. Yates Johnson (UL) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jake Wynan/Rick de Groot (UL) def. Martin Ayala/Diogo Casa (UTSA) 8-3
2. Edgar Lopez/Jarred Wynan (UL) vs. Tyler Brown/Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-4, unfinished
3. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) def. Hugo Guanais/Matt Mussenden (UTSA) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles ()