Apr 1, 2013 10:45 PM by UL Sports Information
After falling behind 3-1, the Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team rallied to tie the match but couldn't complete the comeback as Louisiana dropped a 4-3 decision to UTSA on the road Monday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (10-8) edged out the Cajuns (10-10) in doubles as it came down to the third of three doubles matches to clinch the point. Edgar Lopez and Jarred Wynan came up just short in a tiebreak against Tyler Brown and Joel Rubio, 9-8 (7-4), at the No.2 position.
Lopez evened the match at 1-all as he only dropped three games in a straight-set victory over Diogo Casa on court two, 6-0, 6-3. With the win, Lopez is now the third Cajun to post double digit wins this spring with a 10-7 record.
UTSA jumped out to a 3-1 advantage after winning at positions five and one.
Jarred Wynan started the comeback attempt on court six defeating Eric Buchalter in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Sophomore Damian Farinola tied the match for the second time with his 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 win over Brown at No.4. Farinola needs just one victory to join Rick de Groot, Hunter Johnson and Lopez with 10-plus wins this season.
Rubio clinched the match for the Roadrunners on court three. After dropping the first set, Jake Wynan battled back to force a third set but came up on the wrong side of the decision falling to Rubio, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5.
Louisiana returns to action on Wednesday at 3 p.m. as the Cajuns head to Brownsville, Texas to face UT-Pan American. For info and updates on men's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
UTSA 4, Louisiana 3
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Rick de Groot (UL) 6-4, 6-1
2. Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Jake Wynan (UL) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Damian Farinola (UL) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Hunter Johnson (UL) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jarred Wynan (UL) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
1. Martin Ayala/Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (UL) 8-3
2. Tyler Brown/Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Edgar Lopez/Jarred Wynan (UL) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) def. Kolby Kilgo/David Kelleher (UTSA) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,1,6,4,3)