Feb 12, 2013 11:15 PM by UL Sports Information
Coming off of back-to-back 4-3 defeats, the 75th ranked Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team edged out Central Florida in a tight 4-3 contest at the UCF Tennis Complex on Tuesday afternoon.
"This was another tough match in front of a hostile crowd," head coach Mark Jeffrey said. "We started off very slow again losing the doubles point. Our freshman really stepped up and pulled out this win in singles."
The Knights (3-4) clinched the doubles point on court two as freshmen twins Hunter and Yates Johnson dropped an 8-5 decision to UCF's duo of Matthew Gladstone and Jorge Blasco.
At No.1 doubles, Rick de Groot and Jake Wynan bounced back from their first loss of the season to defeat Amar Hromic and Juan Bolona, 8-5.
In singles play, Central Florida extended its lead to 2-0 as Blasco topped de Groot on court one, 6-2, 6-3.
Hunter Johnson pulled Louisiana (3-4) within a point after picking up his sixth straight victory at No.4 singles defeating Matthew Gladstone 6-2, 6-2.
On court six, Yates Johnson pulled the match even at 2-all in his first dual match singles appearance earning a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Mario Samson.
UCF regained the lead after Jose Sangroniz defeated Jarred Wynan in a close 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (10-8) match at No.3 singles.
After Jake Wynan tied the match again with a three set win on court two, Hunter Goertz pulled off an incredible comeback to win the match for the Cajuns. Already down a set and behind 5-2 and 40-0 in the second set, Goertz rallied to take the second set in a tie break and then took the third set 6-4 to complete the comeback.
"This trip has been really great for our team," Jeffrey stated. "We have really been tested both physically and mentally, and we are better for it. Jeff Johnson our assistant coach did a great job today with our freshman. I am very proud of our guys for fighting till the end. That's what it takes to win. A will and determination to picture it, see it and execute."
Louisiana returns to action on Feb. 19 when they host both Alcorn State and Xavier (La.) at Cajuns Courts. Get live updates on men's tennis all season long by following the team on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
#75 Louisiana 4, Central Florida 3
1. Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Rick de Groot (UL) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Amar Hromic (UCF) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) def. Jarred Wynan (UL) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (10-8)
4. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hunter Goertz (UL) def. Fancesc Aulina (UCF) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
6. Yates Johnson (UL) def. Mario Samson (UCF) 7-5, 7-5
1. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (UL) def. Amar Hromic/Juan Bolona (UCF) 8-5
2. Matthew Gladstone/Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) 8-5
3. Mario Samson/Fancesc Aulina (UCF) def. Jarred Wynan/Damian Farinola (UL) 8-1
Louisiana 3-4; National ranking #75
Central Florida 3-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,6,3,2,5)