Apr 3, 2013 11:40 PM by UL Sports Information
The Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team bounced back from a tough 4-3 loss at UTSA to sweep UT-Pan American 7-0 on Wednesday afternoon at the Orville Cox Tennis Center in Edinburg, Texas.
The Cajuns (11-10) jumped out to a 1-0 advantage taking the doubles point with wins at the No.2 and 3 positions. The duo of Yates Johnson and Edgar Lopez drew first blood defeating Chetan Panditi and Ricardo Hopker 8-4 on court two.
Elliot Minvielle and Damian Farinola clinched the point for Louisiana at No.3 downing Victor Alves and Thomas Panoulas 8-6.
The hot start was carried over into singles competition as the Ragin' Cajuns dominated not dropping a set to the Broncos (7-14) on the afternoon.
Both Lopez and Farinola quickly put away their opponent only dropping three games apiece to extend the Louisiana edge to 3-0. With the win, Farinola became the fourth Cajun to post 10-plus wins this spring.
Jake Wynan clinched the match for the Cajuns at the No.4 position with a gritty straight-set win over Sebastien Job, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.
Junior Rick de Groot added to his team-leading win total at No.1 besting Thomas Panoulas 6-3, 6-4 to notch his 12th win of the season.
Minvielle and Johnson completed the white wash for the Ragin' Cajuns on courts five and six. Minvielle topped Victor Alves 6-4, 6-1 to notch his third win of the season, while Johnson also posted a straight-set victory against Felix Hasselberg, 7-5, 6-3.
Louisiana is slated to close out the Texas road trip on Friday with a 3 p.m. match at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi as the Cajuns look to avenge a 4-2 loss from earlier this year. For updates on Cajuns men's tennis follow the squad on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
Louisiana 7, Texas-Pan American 0
1. Rick de Groot (UL) def. Thomas Panoulas (UTPA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Damian Farinola (UL) def. Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 6-0, 6-3
4. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Sebastien Job (UTPA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Elliot Minvielle (UL) def. Victor Alves (UTPA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Yates Johnson (UL) def. Felix Hasselberg (UTPA) 7-5, 6-3
1. Felix Hasselberg/Sebastien Job (UTPA) def. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (UL) 7-6, unfinished
2. Yates Johnson/Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Chetan Panditi/Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 8-4
3. Elliot Minvielle/Damian Farinola (UL) def. Victor Alves/Thomas Panoulas (UTPA) 8-6
Texas-Pan American 7-14
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)
14 hours ago