Lafayette

Oct 4, 2010 7:23 PM by Melissa Hawkes

Breaux Bridge Frie Sends Infant to Hospital

A house fire on Sawmill Highway in Breaux Bridge sends two people to the hospital this afternoon...one was an infant.

"Thank God they got out of it alive and nobody got hurt besides the burns," John Calais said.

Calais was at his home on Sawmill Highway in Breaux Bridge when he heard his twenty five year old nephew, Joshua Calais, screaming for help.

John Calais lives just three houses down. He said he heard the cries and came rushing over-- never thinking there was a fire that broke out inside.

Joshua Calais was at home with his one-year son Kailan.

Calais said, "the little boy was crying, so I just picked him up and then my nephew passed by me. He went in the back door and that's when I saw the fire."

Joshua told his uncle he was about to start cooking. He said he had just poured vegetable oil on the pan when the flames sparked.

Calais helped his nephew fight the fire, first by throwing laundry detergent on them and then by using a fire extinguisher.

The Breaux Bridge Fire Department responded, but the flames were out already out at that point. Joshua as well as Kailan didn't escape unharmed.

Calais said his nephew had burns on his arm and legs and the baby had burns on his head.

They were both taken by helicopter to a Baton Rouge hospital, but were released within hours. They are now back at their home in Breaux Bridge.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular