Posted: Sep 29, 2010 6:41 PM by Carolyn Cerda
Updated: Sep 29, 2010 6:51 PM
The latest hair trend used by celebrities in Hollywood is making it's way to the South. The Brazilian Blowout is a treatment that takes about 2-3 hours to apply, costs about $350, and lasts 2-6 months. The product's website makes claims that even women with "frizzy, damaged or processed hair" will leave the salon with "totally frizz-free, shiny, effortlessly manageable hair."
But, the popular hair treatment may be giving stylists more than they bargained for. Some have complained that the product makes them sick, literally.
"The vapors coming up started to hurt my lungs and hurt my throat," said stylist, Molly Scrutton.
After similar complaints from other stylists, the Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology in Oregon stepped in to investigate.
"We found a significant level of formaldehyde most of our tests found a level of above then percent," said Administrator, Michael Wood. "Well, that certainly is potentially dangerous I mean formaldehyde is a hazardous chemical. It is dangerous... there are specific steps that employers need to take when they're using it in their work place."
Despite the controversy, the treatment is still being offered across the nation including right here in Acadiana. Stylist, Marty Miller, has been using the product for 3 years, one of those years at Juuj in Lafayette. She even trained with the creator of the treatment in Los Angeles and says the Oregon study is flawed.
"I never heard of anyone getting sick, at all," said Miller. "It is very old information. The original product from Brazil had a trace amount of formaldehyde in it."
Miller says the product was revamped in 2008, removing any trace of formaldehyde. As any product, Miller says there are bound to people that may have a reaction to Brazilian Blowout, or may even be allergic to it. But, she stands by the product, using it herself and recommending it to all her clients.
"With all the humidity and rain here, every single person in this city needs it."