Jan 8, 2014 5:03 PM by MELISSA CANONE
United Blood Services is urging area residents to donate blood three times in 2014. To reinforce this message, they are giving all of their January donors, while supplies last, "Resolve to Donate" shirts.
"We want those who are eligible to give at least three times this year," said Senior Donor Recruitment Representative Gannon Baca. "Each blood donation can save up to three lives, so by donating three times a year you are helping to save up to nine lives in 2014."
Plus, January is National Blood Donor Month. Blood is traditionally in short supply during the winter months due to holidays, travel schedules, inclement weather and illness. These factors put the blood supply at risk of dipping to critically low levels, particularly during the month of January. This is coupled with the fact that January is a high blood usage month in Lafayette.
United Blood Services bloodmobile will be in Lafayette on the following January dates, times and locations:
1. The Grand 16-January 5th-1pm-3:15pm
2. Lafayette Lanes-January 9th-4pm-6:30pm
3. Wal Mart-Ambassador-January 15th-1:30pm-3:30pm
4. Super 1-Ambassador-January 17th- 10:15am-12:45pm
5. Best Buy-January 17th- 2:45pm-5pm
6. Super 1-Carencro-January 18th - 1:45pm-4pm
7. Wal Mart-Pinhook-January 20th- 1:30pm-4pm
8. Izzo's Illegal Burrito-January 21st- 10:30am-2pm
9. Cajun Hog-Scott-January 25th - 10:00am-1:00pm
10. Lafayette Jockey Lot Flea Market-January 26th- 12noon-2:15pm
11. Wal Mart-Broussard- January 26th- 1:45pm-5:45pm
12. Duson Elementary-January 29th- 1pm-3:30pm
To sign up for one of these upcoming drives, go to www.bloodhero.com. Donors can also go to www.unitedbloodservices.org the day of their donation and click on the "Health History Questionnaire" button to save time as well as lives. This allows donors to complete the interview portion of their donation on-line.
Volunteer blood donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Additional height/weight requirements apply to donors 22 and younger, and donors who are 16 years of age must have signed permission from a parent or guardian. Successful Donors receive a "Resolve to Donate" t-shirt and a free cholesterol test. A photo ID is required to donate. For more information, call Gannon Baca @ 337-593-7355.
1 day ago