Posted: Jan 14, 2011 12:08 PM by Letitia Walker
Updated: Jan 14, 2011 1:43 PM
The present church (Immaculate Conception) was built in 1853 and was originally used as a chapel. It has been changed and enlarged considerably over time, making it one of the oldest church buildings in use in the Diocese of Lafayette. The church became its own parish in 1854.
Information from A History of the Diocese of Lafayette:
"In 1851, Archbishop Blanc authorized Father Raviol , the pastor at Opelousas, to purchase a lot in Washington for the construction of a chapel. Father Raviol purchased a lot from Miss Eleanor Lessassier, a free woman of color, on March 24, 1851. A small chapel was then built, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception."
Watch Bishop Jarrell's message by clicking the video link.