Feb 28, 2014 3:56 PM by AP
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Attorney General Buddy Caldwell says it would be hard to prosecute fraud cases against Louisiana residents who overspent food stamp limits during a computer crash last October.
The Advocate reports that Caldwell said Friday there's no evidence of who presented the food stamp card, and he says no stores complained about the overspending or sought arrests.
Louisiana's Department of Children and Family Services has started the administrative process to disqualify those who misused electronic benefits cards. Caldwell says that's the best approach.
So far, nine people have been disqualified from receiving benefits for a year, and the department is pursuing more.
Caldwell's comments came after a meeting with U.S. Sen. David Vitter, DCFS Secretary Suzy Sonnier and the head of the Louisiana District Attorneys Association about the overspending.