_TOP STORY BLOCK

Jun 15, 2014 7:08 PM by Cecilia Stevenson

Accidental Grease Fire Displaces Rue Royal Residents

This afternoon, just before 2:30 p.m., Lafayette firefighters responded to an apartment fire at 111 Rue Royale off of Pont Des Mouton Road.

When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the apartment. Upon entry, they found the majority of the flames coming from the kitchen. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames within fifteen minutes.

The apartment sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. The residents: Tinisha Williams, her two kids, mother and sister escaped the apartment without injury. The occupant's sister inhaled smoke from the fire. She was transported to a local hospital and evaluated for breathing problems.

The apartment unit is considered a total loss. The occupants lost all their belongings in the fire. The adjacent apartment sustained light smoke damage.

Investigators say the fire began on top of the stove. The occupant was frying some food and the grease ignited. The flames quickly spread to the cabinets and other parts of the apartment.

The fire was ruled an accident.

 

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular