Jan 16, 2014 8:04 PM by Alex Labat
Those who travel through Abbeville take note. A bridge you probably use on a daily basis is about to be shut down. The "old" highway 14 bridge in the heart of downtown Abbeville will be closed starting next Monday. The closure will last through the beginning of February. The Louisiana Department of Transportation will be replacing wire cabling on the bridge.
More than 10,000 people use this bridge on a daily basis, but starting Monday, no one will. "The bridge is located right in the heart of our downtown commercial area. And both myself and the city council have some concerns about how it's going to affect our downtown businesses", says Mayor Mark Piazza.
The bridge, which was built in 1938, serves as a gateway into the city of Abbeville and to many of its restaurants. But as work is being done to fix the wire cable on the bridge, it's leaving restaurant owners like Jody Hebert, owner of Dupuy's, wondering what will happen to their clientele. "I'm just worried about major traffic jams we're going to be having around here probably. You know I've seen it once before when they shut it down", Hebert.
City officials have already planned out detour routes for those who have to travel over the bridge, and Hebert says they'll do whatever it takes to make sure traffic keeps flowing. "Be patient, we want our businesses to be patient. And I'm sure that the state is going to work as diligently as possible and get this project done as quickly as they can", says Hebert.
Until Thursday, February 6, 2014, the detour routes are as follows:
· Traffic coming from the west on LA 14 will take LA 14 Bypass to LA 82 south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).
· Traffic coming from the east on LA 14 will take LA 82 north to LA 14 Bypass and head east to US 167 and head south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).
· Traffic on US 167 south can take LA 14 Bypass to LA 82 south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).
· Traffic on LA 335 north can head west to US 167 north to LA 14 Bypass and then head east to LA 82 south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).
· Traffic on LA 82 north can go to LA 14 Bypass and head west to US 167 south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).
· Traffic on LA 82 south can go to LA 14 Bypass and head west to US 167 south to LA 14 (Abbeville Business District).