Posted: Oct 18, 2013 12:23 PM
Updated: Oct 18, 2013 12:41 PM
79-year-old Sylvia Veillon is suffering only minor injuries after a fire broke out in her Eunice home. Family members say she fell when she was coming out of the home and injured her face. Veillon says she believes the fire was started after she turned on the electric heater in the living room. She says she woke up when the smoke alarm went off, and when she went to investigate she saw flames coming up from behind the recliner. The house is said to be a total loss. Veillon has lived there for 37 years.
The home is located by St. Edmunds Gym in Eunice. School officials tell us as firefighters continue to battle the blaze, students are being kept in the cafeteria and high school.