Evangeline

Mar 7, 2014 6:27 PM by Dave Fields

63-year old alleged drive-by shooter now charged with attempted murder

The alleged 63-year-old drive-by shooter in Ville Platte was arraigned Friday on upgraded charges of attempted murder.

The charge results from a shooting incident that occured on Sunday, March 2.

Police Chief Neal Lartigue advised KATC that Albert Scott, 63, of Ville Platte turned himself in at the Evangeline Parish district attorney's office Friday afternoon and was arraigned on the upgraded charges. Scott's new bond was set at $250,000.

Scott pleaded not guilty to attempted murder.

Lartigue indicated, based on Scott's discussions with investigators, that Scott's actions may have been an incidence of road rage. Lartigue said that Scott told investigators that the victim "was driving recklessly in front of him" and "shot at him."

Scott previously had been charged with assault by drive by shooting. The chief said that Scott, while driving down E. Main St. near the intersection of Chataignier St., fired two shots from outside his driver's side window through the back glass of another vehicle.

The victim, a 20-year-old Ville Platte man, reported the shooting from his residence after driving away from 63-year-old's vehicle. Lartigue said that both shots had gone through the back glass of the victim's car, with "one bullet lodging in the dashboard of the vehicle."

Lartigue said that no surveillance footage of the incident was available.

No one was injured, but the victim's father, Danny Bellard, publicly had suggested that Scott should be charged with attempted murder instead of the original "assault by drive-by shooting" charge.

Lartigue said that Scott's trial has been set for this summer.

»Comments

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular