_Continuous News

Mar 16, 2012 10:51 AM by Herbie Smith

13th Annual Komen Acadiana Race for the Cure

Saturday is the 3th annual Komen Acadiana Race for the Cure. Although this special day only comes around once a year, public relations chair for Komen Acadiana Susan Allerdyce says because it's so significant she along with dozens of volunteers plan for it all year long.

"This means so much. This is a time when everyone comes together and think about what they've been through. The survivors are so important to us," said Allerdyce.

Each years thousands of people across Acadiana participate in the 5k walk/run, aerobics warm-up, the one mile fun run and the survivor ceremony. Allerdyce says this is their biggest fundraiser. She says showing support is a step closer to finding a cure.

"75% of the funds raised stays right here in Acadiana and the other 25% is just as important because it goes to research to find treatment and hopefully one day a cure."

Last year, about 9 thousand people participated and volunteers are hoping the turnout will be even bigger.

"This race gets bigger every year and we raise more money. We just want to thank everyone."

For more details about how to register for Komen Acadiana Race for the cure, go to komenacadiana.org.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular